Global and US Impact Use your Spring Break for good! March Serve Trips to South Africa, Denver and Dallas are now open for registration! Pray for our South Africa Serve Team as they empower teachers and uplift preschoolers from Oct. 20-30, the Men's serve team in Honduras Oct. 13-20, and our Economic Empowerment and Training team in Malawi Oct. 11-23. Read about what each team is doing on the blog. Serve in the "warm heart of Africa" in 2018! June, July and October Malawi serve trips available for registration.Explore the Reformation
As we observe the 500th anniversary of the Reformation led by Martin Luther, Pastor Adam Hamilton will share a message and transport us via video to where it all happened. Join us next weekend we begin a new series focused on one of the most transformational times in the history of the Christian faith.
This week in worship... Resurrection Downtown Pastor Scott Chrostek explores how we can find God in Ordinary day-to-day living. Here's a link to last week's message if you missed it or want to hear the sermon again. Or you can participate in an entire worship service here (choose from contemporary, modern or traditional).
Serve our Partner Schools
It's time for Trunk or Treat at two of our partner schools. Decorate your car trunk and celebrate the fall season with a parade of students. To help at Wheatley Elementary on Thursday, Oct. 26, email Pamela Coe. To serve at Quindaro Elementary on Friday, Oct. 27, email Ginny Beene.
Education Ministry needs incentive bag items for our partner schools, including markers, colored pencils, fleece blanket kits, Matchbox cars and Legos. Drop off donated items in the bins marked ‘Education’ in the donation drop-off area between the southwest doors of Building A at Resurrection Leawood.
Foster/Adopt Ministry Info Meeting & Volunteer Drive
Learn about this ministry and upcoming opportunities to provide support and love for foster kids and their families. You can make a difference in a variety of ways for as little as a few hours each quarter by holding babies and hanging out with elementary aged kids, or by mentoring older youth a few hours a week.
Register here for the info meeting on Monday, Oct. 16, 6:30 pm, Leawood B213.
Global and US Impact
Serve at Resurrection
- Say Yes to KiDSCOR! Serve 2-3 hours each month with our Kindergarteners, 1st or 2nd graders on Sundays at 11 am or 5 pm. Make a difference in their lives and have some fun at the same time. Email Nick Ransom for more info.
- Matthew’s Ministry Family Night Out – Saturday, Oct. 28, 4:30-8 pm, Student Center. Serve at our carnival celebration – a night of dinner, dessert, games, crafts and more! Sign up to serve and have fun!
Allies for Racial Justice KC Chiefs Watch Party
Let's join members from St. James United Methodist Church for fellowship, appetizers and to watch the Chiefs take on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Former Chiefs wide receiver Kevin Lockett (Tyler Lockett's dad) will be watching the game with us. Come out to connect with others as we cheer on the Chiefs! Register here by Oct. 12.
Learn more about Allies for Racial Justice and share this event on Facebook.
Connect with other artists
Resurrection Art Guild meets Saturday, Oct. 21, 9-11:30 am, Leawood C144. Learn and share with presenting artist Dea McNair, creating a seascape.
Coming up in rezlife Student Ministry
Tuesday Grow Night
Take a class, join a service opportunity or simply enjoy meaningful discussions. Grow Night meets from 6:30-8:30 pm at Resurrection Leawood.
- New Tuesday Bible Study (TBS) class starts soon! Our Christian Church in History, taught by Chris Folmsbee. Tuesdays, Oct. 17 – Nov. 7, 7-8:30 pm. Register online.
- 20/30 Young Adult Round Table – Join other 20s and 30s as we dive into a scripture passage and guided conversations, plus enjoy some fun and food. We gather each week in Leawood C136!
What do you need to know about Medicare?
Medicare Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D – so many choices, where do you start?! Learn the answers to this and other questions along with helpful tips and great advice at a Crossroads Ministry Informational Workshop on Saturday, Oct. 21, 9-11 am, C136. Registration limited to 60; register online by Oct. 18.
Support for teen mental health
NAMI Basics – Mondays, Oct. 23 – Nov. 27, 6:30 pm, Leawood B209. The National Alliance on Mental Illness presents this 6-week program for parents and caregivers of children and young teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed. Register online.
Couples' Retreat for Connection & Conversation
Love is... complicated. Our intimate relationships are filled with ups and downs, lefts and rights and more than a few wrong turns. The Couples' Retreat at Resurrection Leawood gives couples the opportunity to come together and learn some helpful tools for becoming more closely connected.
We'll start Friday, Nov. 3, 6:30-8:30 pm with a crash course on communication followed by dinner and intentional conversation. On Saturday, Nov. 4, 9 am – noon, we’ll hit the hot topics in discussions led by experts on conflict resolution, sex and money. KiDSCOR children’s activities available both Friday evening and Saturday. Register online.
Make Resurrection your home on Thursday evenings.
- Dinner at 5:45 pm
- Message and worship at 6:20 pm – This week we begin our new message series, Come As You Are.
- Classes/groups at 7 pm
Check out all the fall Care Night classes and groups.
- Suicide Grief Support meets 1st & 3rd Thursdays in the Parlor in Building A at 6:30 pm. We will honor loved ones lost to suicide, while offering space for grief and sharing alongside those who have experienced a similar tragedy. Our study will include Harold Ivan Smith's book, A Long Shadowed Grief.
- Discover the Rainbow – 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 7 pm, C018. Parents seeking to interact with other parents of LGBTQ children. This group is a safe place for parents struggling with what to do next. Leaders are also able to meet with parents individually.
- Family & Friends of LGBT – 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 7 pm, C016. Find encouragement, growth and hope through thoughtful conversations.
- Grief Group will meet in C141 at 6:30 pm to study Beyond the Broken Heart by Julie Yarborough.
- True Colors: An LGBT and Allies Community Group – 2nd & 4th Thursdays, 7 pm, C018. A safe and respectful environment where we can celebrate our authentic selves, create community in which to explore a more profound faith and topics specific to the LGBTQ community, and build deep and meaningful relationships.
- Dinner... Quick & Simple Meals the Whole Family Will Love – Thursday, Oct. 12, 7 pm, C050. It's the dreaded hour - time to fix dinner! Karen Hansen, DHE, from the Johnson County Health Department will share tips on how to get a delicious, healthy meal on the table in 20 minutes whether you are cooking for 1, 2... or a crew! Tons of variety and good nutrition. Register online.
- Job Hunting After 50: Sharing Your Skills and Experience – Thursday, Oct.12, 7 pm, C041. Join representatives from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Aging Workforce Initiative and Resurrection Employment Ministries for a panel discussion and information about job seeking challenges and tools for success those who are 50 and older. Register online.
- Intro to Mindfulness – Thursdays, Oct. 12 – Nov. 16, 7 pm, B200. Diane Breneman leads a 6-week study diving into the practices of mindfulness and exploring their theological foundations. Register online.
- LGBT Reconciliation – Thursday, Oct. 19, 7 pm, Wesley Covenant Chapel. Are you a Christian struggling to find the path for acceptance for the LGBT community? Are you an LGBT person looking for a way back to your faith? Rev. Steve Langhofer and Ceri Anne Lewis invite you to join them in a dynamic and respectful discussion on faith and sexuality.
- Modern Families: Living in Step – Thursdays, Oct. 19 & 26, 7 pm, B203. Step families can be overwhelming to navigate and no two are the same. Join us for some helpful tips and open discussion. Register online.
Employers are encouraged to post job openings and job seekers are encouraged to post their resumes on our online job board. Once the job openings are posted, employers will receive a password to view posted resumes of job seekers. This online job board provides tools to help employers and job seekers connect.
For Resurrection job opportunities, visit our Employment page.