Super Serve Saturday March Madness Edition will look different than we expected in 2020. We won't be gathering at the church on Saturday morning and most of our community partners have asked us not to send volunteers.
What we know is that there are lots of ways to serve and adhere to current public health recommendations.
Here's how to stay connected and serve
- I'll send ideas on ways to serve via my Facebook page and the Church's, so go and follow us if you don't already!
- You can email me Patrick.McLaughlin@cor.org or call me 816-979-1344 and I'll be happy to hear your specific desires and gifts to serve. I'll then help find someplace for you to serve uniquely suited to your gifts and desires.
- Check out the DIY serve opportunities on the Local Impact section of the church's Serve webpage. Keep checking back here as we'll update it with ways to serve as they come to us.
Here's a few places you can consider giving or serving RIGHT NOW.
- HANDS ON Opportunity: KC Farm School will need one or two on-site volunteers, in shifts, each day this week and on Saturday March 21. It is possible that they may also have take-home volunteer work, like creating plant labels. Contact Sharon Autry email@example.com to sign up for a volunteer opportunity.
- Amethyst Place: Amethyst Place is in need of spaghetti sauce, snacks and activities for kids, and basic cleaning items. Donate items from their Amazon wishlist.
- Community Blood Center: Due to coronavirus concerns, Community Blood Center is experiencing a shortage of donations. Healthy donors are needed. Make your appointment to donate blood or platelets.
- Cross-Lines: Rather than providing hot meals served cafeteria style, Cross-Lines will distribute sack meals for breakfasts and lunches. Funding is needed to purchase items for distribution. Donate to Cross-Lines.
- Happy Bottoms: This diaper distribution non-profit put a hold on accepting diaper donations from the public, but can turn your donations into diapers for families in need. Donate to Happy Bottoms.
- Hope Faith Homeless Assistance Campus: Hope Faith is working to keep their guests safe, healthy and fed during this time. They need assistance with items that will go in paper sack care packages. See the full list here.
- Rose Brooks Center: This domestic violence shelter is most in need of small can openers, disposable plates and utensils, Quik Trip gas cards and air mattresses. Donate to Rose Brooks Center.
- Shelter KC: Shelter KC is in desperate need of soft soap, combination body wash and shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste in any size packaging. You can drop off donations seven days a week. See Shelter KC's immediate needs list.
Thank you and as always, be safe. Practice as best you can the public health recommendations to mitigate the spread of the corona virus.
Grace and Peace,