Thank you for taking a few minutes to see what is going on in the serve life of RezDT! With your participation we are #withKC! My hope is that together we will celebrate the difference we make and work through the challenges you will encounter in and around you. Check out our worship and community life calendars at www.cor.org/downtown to find ways to more fully know, love, and serve God.
In this issue:
- Serve Saturday
- Upcoming Special Serve Opportunities
- Youth Mission Trip
- Ramadan Dinner
- Resilience Training
- Construction Skills Bootcamp
- Serve On Your Own
- Volunteers of the Month
- Serve Saturday Details
UPCOMING SERVE OPPORTUNITIES
1522 McGee at 9 am
Invite family and friends of all ages to join RezDowntown on the third Saturday of each month for community service #withKC! Just show up to be introduced to our construction team, refugee children’s reading program, and many other Serve partners around KC. Each month, we help with a variety of meaningful projects like painting, cleaning, and landscaping. See the bottom of the update for this month's locations and for ways to serve about any day of the week! Email Pastor Patrick.McLaughlin@cor.org with questions, or if you plan to bring a group!
Special Serve Opportunities
If you can't make it this weekend or simply want to do more, consider these ways of really helping out.
- Field Day at Wendell Phillips–-Join us for this fun and rewarding Serve opportunity at Wendell Phillips Elementary School, helping celebrate the last day of school and encouraging students to stick it out to the very end! There will be activities you can help lead throughout the morning and/or afternoon. Consider setting a morning, afternoon, or full day aside to join us in this wonderful partnership #withWP. Register online here, or email PastorPatrick@cor.org with questions!
- BLESS THE SCHOOL
Save The Date June 16
June Serve Saturday is on June 16th and we'll meet directly at Whittier Elementary school to serve there as a community. 1012 Bales Ave, Kansas City, MO 64127 Volunteers are encouraged to sign up for other times to serve, find out more here.
Be In The Know
- Youth Mission Trip
From June 23-30, 2018 we are taking 10 kids from our church and our refugee soccer partnership on their first mission trip! We are going to Mountain T.O.P (Tennessee Outreach Project). We need you prayers and tool donations. Visit our construction ministry webpage to find out how to get involved!
- Experience Ramadan with Don Bosco Center
Join us for a free Ramadan Dinner in partnership with Don Bosco Center and The Dialogue Institute, Sunday, May 20, 8 pm at 580 Campbell St, KCMO. Break Fast with traditional food from our Muslim neighbors. Enjoy a presentation on the Ramadan season and gain an understanding of The Dialogue Institute’s work to bridge our communities for peace. Please RSVP here by May 18, or contact Pastor Patrick.McLaughlin@cor.org with questions!
- Resilience Documentary Screening:
Tuesday, June 12th from 6:30-8:00PM
Liberty Hospital Education Center. Resilience: The Biology of Stress & The Science of Hope chronicles the birth of a new movement among pediatricians, therapists, educators and communities, who are using cutting-edge brain science to disrupt cycles of violence, addiction and disease.Please RSVP yourself at this link - Click Here To RSVP and let PastorPatrick@cor.org know if you’re joining us!
- Construction Skills Bootcamp and Cookout
June 13 from 5 pm-7 pm
4505 St John Ave, Kansas City, MO 64123 Interested in learning about construction ministry? Join us for the Helping Hands Construction Ministry’s Construction Skills Boot Camp and Grill Out! This is an opportunity for congregants to learn or enhance a home repair skill, meet new friends in service, and see the new Healing House facility. Following the boot camp hamburgers, hotdogs, salad, cookies and ice cream will be served to celebrate the participant’s hard work! Visit the Helping Hands Construction Ministry web page for more details!
Serve On Your Own
RezDT creates service opportunities for you to be introduced to service and to provide a vehicle for you to introduce others to service and RezDT. When you've moved from relying on RezDT to coordinate your service to serving on your own and inviting friends to join you, you'll have made a serious stride forward in your discipleship journey. Here's what you can do to let us know and let us help you build capacity:
- Whenever you serve, let us know by texting "serve" to 816-256-5588.
- Fill out some basic information about you on the return text.
- Use the feedback form offered in a subsequent text to offer some insights to your serve experience and how we can bring people alongside you.
- We'll celebrate your service hours with the community!
Employee Based Service
Many employers encourage community service and if you have one of these employers, I'd love you to count those hours towards our community serve 18 in 2018 goal. Text "serve" anytime to 816-256-5588. If your co-workers are looking for opportunities to serve, invite them to serve with us at a Serve Saturday.
Small Business Outreach
If you're employer does not have the capacity to offer you service opportunities, connect me with your boss and let's see how we can work together in our shared desire to be #withKC.
Check out all of our serve partners that you'll have an opportunity to connect with throughout the year
Volunteer(s) of the month
Another shared celebration! Caitlin Peregoy, Bri Shores, and Megan Edwards have been helping RezDT discover our capacity for ministry with Refugee children and families. All three are committed interns with the FC Global soccer community, organizing their tutoring and mentoring efforts while befriending families from all over the world and equipping volunteers to do the same. With their help, dozens of children have participated in our Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible Camp, Worship and Serve Saturdays. In addition to their faithful service to RezDT and these kids, Caitlin (left arrow) and Megan (right arrow) are nursing students and Bri (middle arrow) is entering Medical School. They are truly some of the finest KC has to offer! Thank you Caitlin, Bri and Megan for your leadership that helps us live more fully #withKC.
Every meaningful ministry at RezDT started with a story. Someone shared the way they were affected by something and desired to help others experience the same. We'd like to do more to capture these stories and realize more capacities for ministry with you and #withKC!
- Where have you seen God at work in and around you?
- How did you come to call RezDT your home?
- What frustrates you enough to do something about it?
Sharing stories like these will help you develop as a disciple and they will definitely inspire others to serve. For more information on recording your story, contact me at email@example.com.
See you on Saturday!
I hope you've enjoyed getting to know what's been going on in the Serve life of RezDT! Thank you for your ongoing participation to achieve our 2018 goal of 18 in 18! We hope that all will dedicate 18 hours of service in 2018. If you believe you'll achieve this quickly, consider a few higher tiered 18 in 18 challenges: Serve 18 times with the same ministry partners and Invite 18 people to join you in service or in another RezDT community activity.
This month at Serve Saturday we'll be serving at:
- Lazarus Ministry--We'll be helping organize their clothing boutique and preparing their community meal that serves people living on the margin.
THIS IS ALSO WHERE WE'LL HAVE LUNCH AFTER YOU SERVE! 3151 Olive in KCMO.
- Urban Christian Academy--We'll be putting up a fence, doing landscape work, and deep cleaning at this awesome school.
- ReStart-- All ages and abilities are invited to deliver our book donations and get to know families living at ReStart through play and reading.
- KCRM Women's Shelter and Recovery Program--We'll be working in their community garden that supplies residents with fresh veggies throughout the summer.
- Diaper Packaging--All ages and abilities are able to stay right at the church and help unpack and repack the diapers we've been collecting for Happy Bottoms.
When diapers are done, volunteers will work around the church picking up neighborhood trash in prep for our big MOVE IN TO 1601 GRAND!
- Reconciliation Services--Help our downtown neighbor organize their facility and dispose of some unneeded assets.
- Helping Hands Construction Ministry--Weather permitting a few folks will join this team to help with a home repair project.
- Kuamba Reading Nook--Every month we welcome new people interested in helping refugee children with their literacy. Grace and Peace,
Grace and Peace,