The questions in this small group guide relate to the sermon from July 18th & 19th . If your group has not had a chance to listen to the full sermon, they can find it at cor.org/leawood/sermons. This week’s sermon was preached by Rev. Adam Hamiton, Senior Pastor.
Lord Jesus, as we gather to study your Word would you open our hearts to hear your voice. Help us to set aside the anxieties and stress of our week to fully focus on you. Be with us as we learn together and grow in our understanding of the life you are calling us to. In the name of your Son Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.
This week’s sermon is centered on Matthew 7
Rule 1: Don’t judge; but show grace.
1. Pastor Adam says we have a natural tendency to look for faults in others. Where have you found yourself pre-judging others?
2. How does focusing on the “log in our own eye” keep us from judging others? How can we assume the best in others?
Rule 2: Don’t give up, but persevere.
1. When you feel like giving up, what things keep you going?
2. What role does prayer play in your life when you want to give up?
Rule 3: At the fork in the road, take the narrow path.
1. When trying to make a decision, what things do you employ to help you?
2. Pastor Adam says that when faced with a fork in the road, the harder path tends to be the one God would have us take. When was a time you took the hard path? What was the result?
Rule 4: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You
1. How does the “Golden Rule” urge us to think of the needs of others first?
2. Do you think you apply this rule in all aspects of your life? Family, work, school, etc.
Lord Jesus, you know how we struggle with all four of these rules. Cure us of our need to judge other people. Help us not to give up but to persevere in your strength through prayer. When we face a fork in the road give us the boldness and courage to choose the narrow path. Help us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Amen.
13720 Roe Ave.
Leawood, KS 66224
24000 W. Valley Pkwy
Olathe, KS 66061
1601 Grand Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64108
601 NE Jefferson St.
Blue Springs, MO 64014
8412 W. 95th St.
Overland Park, KS 66212
Can’t find something? Let us help.