Happy Valentines day! Put this away if you should be paying attention to your valentine! If you don't have one, I'd be happy to introduce you to some ways to share the love in the community! Thank you for taking a few minutes to see what is going on in the serve life of RezDT! The service opportunities below, along with RezDT community life and worship are how we make a positive impact in people's lives. With your full participation, we are #withKC! Find ways to do all these at the RezDT website. Contact me anytime for further connection and care, 816-979-1334 or email@example.com.
IN THIS ISSUE
- SAVE THE DATE: MARCH 30
- Serve Saturday Sites--February
- Serve Saturday Goals
- Serve Report
- Ordinary Saints
- Serving on your own?
- Volunteers of the Month--Bob and Susan Dye
SUPER SERVE SATURDAY
MARCH MADNESS EDITION
SAVE THE DATE MARCH 30. We'll not meet for our traditional 3rd Saturdays in March or April due to the Big 12 Tourney and Easter Weekend. Our goal is to gather 500 people on this SUPER Serve Saturday. We have established projects with over 20 partners for the day and want you to join in the MARCH MADNESS! Start inviting friends now!
FEBRUARY SERVE SATURDAY
- Invite a friend and join us this Saturday at 1522 McGee. Doors open at 8:30am for morning refreshments.
- A brief program starts at 9am to learn about the day's ministry partners. Deploy by 9:20am to serve the community for a few hours.
- Have lunch with other volunteers and send us your feedback.
This month's opportunities:
- Monthly Rotating:
- Amethyst Place--A transitional housing and mentoring program for women.
- Hillcrest Transitional Housing--NEW OPPORTUNITY--Hillcrest is ready to furnish some recently acquired and improved apartments for families they work with coming out of poverty.
- Kansas City Rescue Mission--Learn how they help the homeless during these cold winter months and help them with projects around their facility.
- Metro Lutheran Ministry--NEW OPPORTUNITY--packing non-perishable sack lunches for neighbors who stop by their office.
- Operation Breakthrough--NEW OPPORTUNITY--There are several tasks to help them organize their new space in addition to working with our construction ministry who has been helping install some shelving.
- Monthly regular:
- Kuamba Reading Nook--A reading program for refugee children at 1903 Hardesty, KCMO, in partnership with Centennial UMC. Meets on 1st and 3rd Saturdays.
- Hunger Backpack Packaging for Wendell Phillips--Primarily for our volunteers with children and those with mobility limitations.
- Helping Hands Construction Ministry-Helping this month at Operation Breakthrough. Contact Dan Smith or visit the Helping Hands Construction Ministry web site for more info on ways to stay involved.
- Off Saturday Opportunities:
- Micah Ministry--Weekly Monday evening meal.
Contact our liaison Mary Landis for more details.
- Education Partners--serve at Wendell Phillips and East High. Visit our Education partner webpage or for more details!
- Avenue of Life-- offers many opportunities throughout the week for those desiring an opportunity to serve with Spanish speaking neighbors. Visit their website and contact Pastorpatrick@cor.org for more info.
We don't visit every site every month. Click here for a list with web-links to all of the serve partners that we can help you connect with throughout the year.
Serve Saturday Goals
- Welcome 200 first time participants who begin serving with us regularly.
- Small groups begin to serve together regularly at one of our partner sites.
- Cultivate 6 stories of service that compel others to serve and that can be shared with the broader community.
Your feedback after serve events will help us track these goals. A link is sent out each month to those who have registered to serve. You're welcome to follow it here too.
After being rescheduled, we had a successful gathering of volunteers for both our cultural context training and the Cost Of Poverty Experience poverty simulation and our food packaging for Wendell Phillips. Thanks to all who have made this commitment to learning and serving.
Meaningful impact in the community grows because of the stories people tell. Participants in making that impact and those that spread the word are "Ordinary Saints". We'd like to record these stories to create a catalog that demonstrates the impact RezDT is making on the community and in people's lives. For more information on sharing a story, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you serving on your own or through your employer!?!?!
TEXT "DEEP" to 816-256-5588 to let us track and celebrate it with you!
Are you passionate about a service opportunity you've been doing outside of RezDT and wish you had more help? I'd love to help bring more volunteers along side you.
Small Business Outreach--Do you wish you could do service projects with fellow employees? Contact me and let's set something up with your colleagues to facilitate it together!
Email email@example.com if any of these apply to you!
Volunteers of the month
This month I'd like to honor the work and gifts of Bob and Susan Dye. The Dye's stay active with work, volunteering and travel. They can be found doing all sorts of church jobs to help us create a hospitable environment for members and guests alike. Ask them sometime about their service with the Kuamba Reading Nook and Wendell Phillips Elementary school!
Hope to see you Saturday!
I also hope you've enjoyed getting to know what's going on in the Serve life of RezDT! Don't hesitate to reach out anytime you have questions, concerns, or just need a listening ear. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-979-1344.
Grace and Peace,